2010 Gracie Grappling Cup


Sorry folks - this is way overdue but between school, my business, travel and training I've been so busy lately and I haven't had much time to dedicate to writing my blog. But because of this was such a significant event, I felt that I needed to do a little write up about it.

The first ever Gracie Grappling Cup was held this past October 29th in San Antonio Texas. As an added bonus, Relson Gracie was onsite to host the event. It was a great opportunity for everyone to meet him, get an autograph and chat up a celebrity. I think this was only the second tournament in Texas that Relson has hosted. For a first time event, the turnout of competitors for the gi and no gi divisions was impressive and the divisions were stacked with some of Texas's most talented competitors.

The night before was the black belt super fight which unfortunately I missed. I was told that they were some great fights. I have to say, it's not often enough that we get to see some of Texas's black belts in action. I'd love to see the black belts in Texas have more opportunities to showcase their skills on a local level.

If you missed this event, here is the highlight video from the event:



This is the second event that I've recently decided to both photograph and compete in. I think I've found this is a nice formula for calming my nerves and getting my head in the game. The only thing that I didn't like in the past was that I felt like I never got enough warning before my matches to switch gears. But in working with the promoters as a photographer, they have been really great about giving me enough time before my matches to put down my camera and put on my game face. By the time I stepped out on the mats, I was ready to go. I took home the Gold in the Advanced no gi division!






Here are some of my favorite shots that I took from the event:








More can be seen at:

Gracie Grappling Cup

I was really proud of all my teammates that competed in this event. Win or lose everyone seemed to have a great time. I strongly recommend you check out this event next year. Thank you to Josh, Relson, Zebra Mat Systems, the staff and all of the sponsors that made this event possible. Keep on rolling!

Comments

Popular Posts