Don't be so hard on your self


Being good at Jiu Jitsu does not necessarily come naturally for me. It has taken a lot of work for me to get to where I am now, and I still have a long road ahead. One of my challenges is keeping focused. I have a somewhat chaotic mind, which works out to my benefit creatively. But this same mindset can some times cause difficulty when learning Jiu Jitsu techniques.

I also have a tendency to be very hard on myself, especially when I am not able to do something that I feel I should know. I also get flustered sometimes when I am learning something new and I can't get it right immediately. Being hard on myself pushes me to do better, but it can also obstruct my focus.

The other day I was trying to do this move. One I've done many of times before. I watched the move done and then when it was my turn to do it, I had a complete brain fart. I just couldn't focus and my coordination was completely off. The more I tried it, the more I failed, and the more I became frustrated. The more frustrated I became, the less I was able to learn.

Jiu Jitsu requires both physical and mental strength. Strategy and technique allow even the smallest person to have an advantage over the largest opponents. Being able to come into a class clear-headed and focused is obviously beneficial. I am learning that when I spend time fixating on my weaknesses, it ultimately holds me back.

How do I fix it? I have to remind myself that I cannot expect to do a move perfectly the first time. It is through repetition that mental and physical memory develops. The most important part is to take care of myself both physically and mentally. I also have to remind myself that I am not perfect, how ever much I strive to be.

Comments

Popular Posts