Don't just go giving away the milk for free...


You'd think that you can wear anything to train in, but over the years I've learned that certain outfits are not as appropriate as others for Jiu Jitsu training. Let's just say that I've learned the hard way that some articles of clothing have embarrassing "defects" when wearing them in Jiu Jitsu. I've also learned that even when worn under a Gi, I am not mishap free.

Personally, when I am training, the last thing I care too much about is what I look like. I am way more interested in the functionality of my outfit then appearance. Plus, I am there to train and learn Jiu Jitsu. I mean, I smell like sweat (some of it isn't my own), my hair is a mess and I am all red in the face. I am not exactly looking my best anyhow. And who gives a damn! It isn't a fashion show, it's a Jiu Jitsu academy!

I have seen a lot of new women come in to train unknowingly wearing outfits that were appropriate for regular working out, but completely inappropriate for training Jiu Jitsu. Here are some helpful suggestions on what I've found that does and doesn't work for "rolling" in Jiu Jitsu.


Don'ts

1. Sports Bras: For all practical purposes, don't just wear a sports bra. It's a BRA! If a toe, hand or finger gets caught in it, it leaves little to the imagination. Even under a Gi, like I said, mishaps can happen.*

2. Sports Bra shirts: These look like a tank top, but have a built in bra. These do not work well either. Although it covers up more of the mid section, the same accidents can happen as can happen in wearing a sports bra.*

3. Cotton tank tops: The biggest downfall is that they stretch out easily. They typically don't last long because of this factor. Not to mention once they get stretched out, it makes it easy to look straight down your shirt.

4. Short shorts: If they are tight it's okay, but if they are loose than that's a different story. Wear some booty (fight) shorts underneath and you'll save yourself embarrassment.

*of course in some cases one has no choice but to strip to the bear minimum to make weight for competition.

Do's

1. T-shirt: You can't go wrong with a good ol' fashion t-shirt, it serves a dual purpose of covering you up and soaking up some of the sweat!

2. Rash Guards: I don't wear rash guards often, but some people swear by them. They are perfect for Jiu Jitsu and can help to cool the body and absorb the sweat.

3.Board shorts: Perfect for no gi or if you are new and haven't bought a gi yet. Watch out on the length, too short is no good. Most of the time women's board shorts are a little too short to wear and I usually wear men's board shorts cause they are longer. But if you want to wear shorter shorts, then tights or fighting shorts are ideal underneath.

4. Leggings: Tight fit leggings are also ideal to roll in. They too can help to cool the body and absorb the sweat. Lululemon makes some great leggings and they last forever!

5.Gi: I know they are not cheap, but if you really like Jiu Jitsu it's a good investment and they last a long time. Not to mention, no gi and gi training are two totally separate games. Best to learn both!

Keep in mind these are only my own personal suggestions in order to avoid awkward incidents on the mats. I know personally how uncomfortable it can be. Perhaps you think I am being a bit too modest, but I think it's better to have a reputation for kicking ass as opposed to showing it on the mats!

Comments

Popular Posts