Next stop Rio de Janeiro..


For as long as I can remember it has been a dream of mine to go to Brazil, the birth place of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I had been looking for opportunities over the years but nothing came together before. It has been a long time since my team has gone to Brazil. I think the last time was when I was a white belt. Back then I didn't really have the funds to go and Jiu-Jitsu really wasn't as big of a passion of mine as it is now . I was rather too green in Jiu-Jitsu and probably wouldn't have gotten the most out of the experience anyway.

Then earlier this year I found out about Kyra Gracie's Jiu-Jitsu camp. I was excited about the opportunity to go to Rio and train with Kyra. I was all set to go but the inevitability of life got in the way of my plans. Being a full time student and business owner I just couldn't justify traveling to Brazil at that time. I was horribly disappointed, but in the end I came to the realize it just wasn't meant to be.

Finally, about a month ago I got word that Leticia Ribeiro was going to have a Jiu-Jitsu camp in July. My friend Donald has been telling me forever that I need to go and train with Leticia. He said she is an amazing athlete and teacher.



I can't tell you how hungry I've been to go on an adventure. I just finished up school and I don't have any work constraints that will prevent me from going. I have nothing holding me back and the timing couldn't be more perfect. The more I've matured in life, the more I've come to realize that you can't force things to happen. When it is meant to be, it just works.

So I am Brazil bound! Words can not describe how excited I am. The idea of competing in the Rio Open, learning from Leticia and being apart of this camp is the fulfillment of a long term dream. I am so very grateful to have this opportunity. This will be my first time traveling internationally by myself and competing without my coach or teammates. I am looking forward to the experiences that are to come.

If you are interested in embarking on this journey with me, they still have slots open. More information can be found at: